Friday, December 19, 2008

Ongoing cleaning project

The cleanup of the SRAM Red groupset from my racing bike continues; this time 2 times of concern.
When I disassembled the non-drive side bottom bracket and started to clean under the seals I found one side nice and clean and the other chocolate brown.  For bearings, this is never a good sign.  Giving the bearing a spin it felt rough and crunchy a sign that significant galling had taken place.  These are sealed pressed in ceramic bearings so not too much that I can do, although I will make an attempt at removing them to see if I can rebuild the BB instead of throwing it out.
  
Next up, the chainrings.  Inner was fine, the outer, not so much; one small and one large shear/gouge in the ring.  I know for sure it isn't a shift ramp as it is sharp and there is clear deformation of the chainring around the shear.

Is the crankset rideable with a bad bottom bracket and busted chainring?  Yes, but this is definitely not ideal.

No comments: