Monday, June 9, 2008

XC MTB Flyers in the HEAT

Hey there Flyers,

The 4th O-Cup took place at Kelso this past Sunday on the hottest day so far in 2008 with temperatures floating above +30C.

The course would have been challenging under any weather conditions as the start of the race included a nasty climb up to the top of the ski hill on a very loose gravel fire road. On this particular day it was the hottest section of the course.

My start time was at 11:45 am, so just in time for the mid-day heat to really settle in. I had a nice clean start and had a great Dark Horse cheering squad that helped me move up the pack before that first brutal climb. My first two laps were quite strong and i was very happy, but on my 3rd climb on the ski hill, the heat really began to take it's toll. I had a pretty decent over-the-bars wipeout on a lovely rock garden. Dusted myself off and managed to get back on the bike and finish my lap. Was exhausting, but in the end I am pleased with my results and I am improving every race.

Once again, I was racing in the Master Sport 35-39 men category where I came in 18th with a time for my 3 laps of 1:44:27.01 on the 30km course.

Edgars was also competing, but i don't know what happened to him. I saw him off on his first lap, but lost contact and i don't know what took place on the course for him. I did see he had a DNF, but i can't shed any light on his race story.

Next up for me will be the Epic 8 hour in July as i cannot make it to the O-Cup #5 in London in early July.

-pary

Paul: Edgars made it out okay, after snapping his chain at the start and giving the course a go.

No comments: