Tuesday, June 24, 2008

MTB Flyer at Albion Hills

From Jeff re 24hr race at Albion Hills:

It was a good event. I rode well and so did our 4 man team. Winter spinning and road riding put me in decent shape, just a little stiffness this morning.
The race is a relay that starts at 12noon Saturday and the last lap must be started before 12noon Sunday. The idea is to get as many laps in the 24hr period as possible.
The course had a good mix of fast double track, and twisty, rolly, single track, approximately 17km long. No massive climbs but lots of medium ones. I got in 2 good laps on Saturday afternoon (57min and 58min), and was looking forward to the night laps. My turn came up at 11pm, my lights are working great, I feel good, but about 2 minutes into the lap the heavens opened up. The first half of the course was sheltered by the forest camopy, and the ground was absorbing the drops, so that traction was okay, visibility was okay, the real challenge was the last 5km. The soil in the forest is beautiful rich black loam, which, by now, the rain and riders had converted into mush and grease. My bike had the wrong tires for mud, so traction was terrible and going was slow. I got thru, no chrashes and time 1:18 hr. I went straight to a wash station after my lap and hosed about 2 inches of muck off the bike and me!
My teammates decided to sleep thru instead of ride in the muck so we lost a few night laps. I think this was a good choice, we all work for a living, so no sense risking a crash.
The rain stopped shortly after my lap was done, the track firmed up and was in good shape by dawn.
I got one lap Sunday morning (1:04hr), and was ready for another, but it was after 12noon Sunday before the guy before me got back in.
We accomplished our goals, rode as fast as we can, have a good time with some friends and not be last!

Cheers, Jeff

No comments: